Level 5 Diploma Education and Training
Level 5 Diploma Education and Training
The Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training is a full teaching qualification to work in the Education and Training sector, which includes Further Education colleges, adult and community education and other training providers. The qualification provides an introduction to teaching and will enable you to develop the knowledge and practical skills needed to teach in post-compulsory education sector.
The course is suitable for anyone already teaching in the Education and Training sector or looking to share their professional and industrial experience through a teaching role.
You may be keen to give something back, with the aim of sharing knowledge and inspiring others. You may be motivated by the chance to teach more fundamental skills. Or you may want to increase your skills and confidence, enabling you to effectively train others in your organisation.
Since this is a teaching qualification, you will be on placement alongside undertaking this training programme. On completion of the programme, you will be able to meet and evidence the professional standards as well as to teach effectively in the Education and Training sector.
Importance of Trained Teachers
Trained teachers play a pivotal role in shaping the educational landscape. The DET programme recognizes the significance of well-prepared educators and focuses on developing professionals equipped to navigate the challenges of contemporary classrooms.
- GCSE grades A* to C and/or 9 to 4 (or equivalent) or Level 2 Functional Skills in Math and English may be considered.
- A level 3 qualification in related subjects or 16-64 UCAS points from AS and A-Levels or an Access to HE Diploma.
- Applicants are expected to attend an interview and complete an initial assessment
- For students aged 19+
- This course is ideal for anyone currently in a teaching role looking to gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTLS) or simply improve their teaching skills.
- You do not need to have completed the level 3 or level 4 courses to enrol in the level 5 DET. If you meet the minimum criteria as detailed in the FAQ, you can enrol in the level 5 course immediately. You can start the course at the given start dates mentioned on the website. We usually have two intakes per year.
- If you have any further questions about the DET course and want to speak to a tutor prior to booking your place, we’re happy to offer a free, no-obligation video consultation today. Write to email@example.com, for booking the session.
- In-Service Teachers: Seeking professional development.
- Pre-Service Teachers: Aspiring to enter the education sector.
- Trainers: Enhancing their instructional capabilities.
The qualification is made up of mandatory and optional units at level 4 and 5, through which you will build up credits towards the Level 5 Diploma.
You will cover these essential areas of any teaching course:
- Teaching, learning and assessment in education and training
- Theories, principles and models in education and training
- Wider professional practice and development in education and training
You will have the opportunity to design and develop your own resources, linking theories and models of education with the needs of your own learners.
You will cover the role of a tutor, work with individual learners, and managing behaviours in a learning environment.
Three days a week and we have a blended learning model, online and face to face.
The teaching time is one year. You study in three terms.
- Career Advancement: Unlock opportunities for higher positions.
- Versatility: Ability to teach in diverse educational contexts.
- Professional Development: Stay updated with the latest teaching methodologies.
- Increased Employability: Enhanced prospects for employment.
- Career Growth: Potential advancement to leadership and specialized roles.
- Have access to 100 hours of placement.
- Active Participation: Engaging in coursework and practical teaching.
- Assignment Completion: Fulfilling requirements for assessments.
- Portfolio Completion: Application of knowledge with evidence enriched at trainee’s placement.
Support for Trainee Teachers
- One-on-One Mentor Support: Personalized guidance from experienced educators.
- Formative Feedback Facility: Continuous feedback for improvement.
- Access to DET Digital Library: Comprehensive resources for research and learning.
- Experienced Educators: Qualified professionals with relevant teaching experience.
Placements and Work-Based Learning (WBL)
- Professional Qualification: Emphasis on the importance of WBL for a well-rounded educational experience.
- Access to Placements: Imperative for providing opportunities for hands-on teaching experience.
- SIRM Placement Office: Facilitating placement opportunities and verification.
- Liaison with Mentors and DET Team: Ensuring seamless integration into the teaching environment.
- Transparent Criteria: Clear standards for passing continuous feedback for success.
- Structured Progression: Achieving milestones for systematic programme completion
Institutional Support for Academic Journey
- Dedicated Academic Advisors: Guidance for academic and career development.
- On-Campus Academic Support Facilities: Access to library, research resources, and study spaces.
Academic Support Facilities
- One-on-One Mentor Support: Individualized guidance for academic success.
- Formative Feedback Facility: Continuous assessment and improvement.
- DET Digital Library Access: Extensive resources for research and learning.
Assessment Methods in Digital and AI-Enabled Classrooms
In the ever-evolving digital era, educators must adapt to advanced assessment methods. The DET program at SIRM incorporates diverse strategies for digital and AI-enabled classrooms:
- Online Quizzes and Exams: Assessing theoretical knowledge.
- Digital Portfolios: Showcasing achievements and lesson plans.
- Virtual Class Observations: Providing real-time feedback on teaching methods.
Curriculum Ethos and Training Approach
SIRM ensures that the DET program aligns with a curriculum emphasizing innovation, inclusivity, and adaptability. This ethos prepares teachers and trainee teachers to thrive in future classrooms, fostering a dynamic and effective learning environment.
Links to ETF and SET
Importance of Initial Teacher Education (ITE)
- Crucial Sector: Emphasize the significance of ITE in shaping professional educators.
- Demand for Trained Professionals: Highlight the increasing need for well-trained teachers in the education sector.
Recognition of QTLS Status
Since April 2012, the recognition of the Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status for teachers and trainers holding QTLS and being members of the Society for Education and Training (SET) has been established by law. This recognition equates their status to that of teachers with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in schools.
Course Assessment and Why Choose Us
Transparent evaluation methods are employed, and the choice of SIRM is underpinned by the institution’s qualified team and expert educators. The training methodology encompasses online Zoom classes, access to resources and materials, research reading, live discussions, case studies, presentations, profiling, CPD log, problem-solving, and portfolio development support.
You can apply for the ‘Student loan’. Student loans can include a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan to help with your living costs. Help and advice is available at www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance