Funding from the government is available for apprenticeship training. In April 2017 the government introduced the Apprenticeship Levy to encourage and support employers to create and invest in more apprenticeships to close the skills gaps in the UK. Employers are regarded as levy or non levy payers.
Employers who have an annual salaries bill of more than £3 million or are connected to other companies or charities for Employment Allowance, which in total have an annual salaries bill of more than £3 million are required to pay an apprenticeship levy of £15,000 per year. Apprenticeship Levy payments are also a deductible expense for Corporation Tax.
Non levy employers:
Employers who have an annual salaries bill of less than £3 million are regarded as non levy. They are required to invest 10% of the cost of the apprenticeship training and the government pays the remaining 90%. Smaller businesses (with less than 50 employees) may receive 100% of the funding depending on the age and background of the apprentice. Employers and training providers each receive an incentive of £1,000 when the apprentice is between 16 and 18 years old.
For more information: Employer Guide to Apprenticeships